How It Works
10 - 12 hours per week
- Explain the impact of the social and physical environment on people with disabilities.
- Integrate relevant legislation, regulations, and standards needed when planning and executing a rating.
- Integrate Universal Design principles and standards when planning and executing a rating.
- Interpret and navigate a set of construction drawings.
- Communicate and support rating findings to clients, and prepare a recommendation report of the rating findings, reflecting compliance and gaps related to relevant human rights and accessibility legislation, regulations, and Universal Design standards.
- Display professionalism and promote inclusiveness when working with clients.
- You have a diploma or degree in architecture, engineering, urban planning, interior design or a related program; or
- You have a Journeyman Certificate of Qualification in a designated trade related to building construction; or
- You are an engineer or are eligible for registration as an engineer; or
- You are an architect or are eligible for registration as an architect; or
- You have a minimum of five years’ experience related to accessibility in the built environment and/or building construction.
- You should possess a high level of proficiency with computer systems and programs, including MS Excel, as well as solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Course auditor requests are granted upon the understanding that the student has an interest in accessibility in the built environment and that the student will be expected to participate at the same standard and pace as other students, despite not having the necessary prerequisites.
- You will have access to course content, instruction and discussion forums; consequently, full course fees are applicable.
- You will not be required to submit weekly or final assignments.
- You will not receive a certificate of completion or a digital badge at the end of the course.
- You will not be eligible for the RHFAC exam, administered by CSA Group, which is required for RHFAC Professional designation. Therefore, upon the completion of this course, you will NOT be qualified to conduct RHFAC ratings.
Course Audit Option
Rick Hansen Foundation and PowerED™ are pleased to announce that there is now a Course Audit option available for individuals interested in the course but do not meet the prerequisites. As a course auditor, students will learn about RHFAC’s comprehensive national rating system, measuring meaningful accessibility from the perspective of those with mobility, vision and hearing disabilities. In addition, students will learn how to promote increased access through the adoption of Universal Design principles.
Please note, as a course auditor:
For registration and further inquires about auditing, please contact PowerED™ at email@example.com.
Vice President, Access and Inclusion
Rick Hansen Foundation
Brad's expertise in the application of universal design comes from both personal experience and practical knowledge. In 1990, he formed Canadian Barrier Free Design Inc. (CBFD) - created to fill the gap between the application of the building code and the real needs of the community of people with disabilities. In 2015, Brad joined the Rick Hansen Foundation and was tasked with developing The Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification (RHFAC) rating program and companion assessor training.
Brad was recently appointed as a Director of the Canadian Accessibility Standards Development Organization (CASDO); is a member of the Canadian Committee of the International Standards Organization; is the recipient of the City of Vancouver’s Access and Inclusion Award (2010) and the Canadian Paraplegic Association’s Award Of Distinction. He became a C6-7 quadriplegic after a car accident in 1980 at age 27. He uses a wheelchair and a service dog on a daily basis.
Jenny Blome, BSc
Manager, Strategic Projects
Rick Hansen Foundation
Jenny has over a decade of experience in project management and UI design with innovative companies such as Apple. Working as the director of the built environment for the Rick Hansen Foundation, she was the architect of the RHF Accessibility Certification Rating Survey. Jenny now works with large private and government organizations to develop corporate accessibility standards, to assess and rate the current accessibility of facilities, and to follow best practice accessibility standards for all new construction projects. Past projects include organizations such as Sunnyhill Children’s Health Centre, National Capital Commission, Canadian Museum of Science and Technology, CN Tower, Concert Properties, Colliers International, University of Toronto, Infrastructure Ontario, Vancouver International Airport, BC Parks, Canadian Border Security Agency, Canada Post and Government of Canada Public Works. Her qualifications include a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Colorado, and Certification in Universal Design, University of Buffalo.
- General Contractors
- Urban Planners
- Anyone interested in accessibility in the built environment
Is this an instructor-led course?
This course is coached by an instructor and includes moderated discussions. It has been designed by subject matter experts and includes video interviews of leading experts. It is an immersive experience with a mix of video content, field work experiences, impactful readings, learning checks, and other interactive elements.
How much time will I need to spend?
The course contains six modules and is structured to be completed over a 9 week period. An additional two weeks will be provided to submit the final assignment. You will be spending approximately 10 - 12 hours of time per week on content. If you are unfamiliar with your jurisdictions’ building code, or do not have a background in working with construction documents, this course may require additional hours per week.
Do I have to be online at a certain time of day?
No, you do not have to be online at a specific time. You complete the weekly coursework at the times and places that fit your schedule. Each course is designed for working professionals who are balancing their work, family, and community commitments. There will be two scheduled live sessions with the facilitator, but if you cannot be online at that time, the sessions will be recorded and you can review them at a time that best suits you.
When do I start?
You can start the course at the next available start date! Once you register in the course, we can send you links to reading materials from the Rick Hansen Foundation.
How long will I have access to the course?
You will have access to the course for an additional 30 days after the 9 week period is complete.
What is the refund policy?
No refunds will be issued for courses. Refunds may be considered under exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Are there tests or quizzes involved?
There will be activities, assignments, and short quizzes within the course to ensure you understand the content. All quizzes are designed to be accessible and easy to complete by engaging in the course content. Within each module, you will have the answers to each evaluation. In order to receive a certificate, you will be graded (P/F) on your participation on weekly discussion forums and submit a final assignment.
Are there any assignments?
Yes, the instructor will award a pass/fail for discussion forum participation. There is also a final assignment, which includes completing a Ratings Workbook and a Key Areas of Success and Improvement for the site presented in the course. A level of mastery (pass/fail) will be awarded.
What are the computer requirements for this course?
If you can access the Internet, you can access the course environment. The course environment is compatible with laptops, PCs, tablets and smart phones.
Does this course have prerequisites?
Yes, you must have prerequisites to register in this course. Please see the Certification Prerequisites section above.
Who do I contact if I need help?
You can contact email@example.com for assistance with any questions you may have. We are here to help!